Where the wild things are tattoos have become increasingly popular in recent years, as fans of the classic story show their appreciation for the beloved book through body art. This article will explore the art of tattoos inspired by the story of “Where the Wild Things Are” and discuss the meanings behind these designs. From intricate illustrations to subtle symbols, this article will feature some of the most unique and creative tattoos inspired by the classic tale.
Overview of the Classic Story
The classic children’s story Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak tells the tale of a young boy, Max, who enters a world of imagination after being sent to his room without supper. Max sails away to an island inhabited by strange and wild creatures. He becomes the ruler of the creatures, known as “Wild Things” and creates a kingdom for them. Max eventually tires of the kingdom and sails back home, where his mother awaits him with a hot supper. The story is a beloved classic, having sold over 19 million copies since its release in 1963.
The story has been adapted into other forms of media, including a live action movie in 2009 and a series of tattoos inspired by the classic story. These Where the Wild Things Are tattoos depict various characters, scenes, and symbols from the story, allowing fans to show their love for the classic tale in a unique and creative way.
Why Wild Things Tattoos?
The Wild Things have become a symbol of the childhood imagination, and their tattoos have become a popular way to express that nostalgia and the spirit of exploration.
- They’re a great way to show off your love for the classic story.
- A Wild Things tattoo can be a great way for parents to honor their children and the magical bond between them.
- It’s a way to celebrate your inner wildness and your connection with nature.
- Wild Things tattoos can be a powerful reminder to stay true to yourself and embrace the unknown.
- The characters are a powerful symbol of childhood innocence and a reminder of the beauty of life.
- Small where the wild things are tattoo designs make great conversation starters.
The Wild Things represent the power of imagination and the beauty of the unknown, making them an ideal tattoo choice for those looking to make a statement. Whether you’re honoring your inner child or looking to add a bit of whimsy to your look, Wild Things tattoos are a great way to show off your wild side.
Popular Wild Things Tattoo Designs
Simple and minimalistic designs of Wild Things tattoos are very popular, as they are timeless and can be adjusted to anyone’s taste. They can be a small silhouette of Max and the Wild Things, or an outline of the island that the characters explore throughout the story.
Tiny tattoos of Wild Things characters are also very fashionable and can be adorned on any part of the body. They can be a single Wild Thing or a scene of the characters playing together, and are usually done in solid black ink to make them look more subtle and stylish.
Quote tattoos from the classic story are also very popular and meaningful. A famous Where The Wild Things Are quote tattoo is “Let the wild rumpus start!”, which is a great reminder to live life to the fullest. Other popular quotes from the book include “I’ll eat you up, I love you so” and “Oh please don’t go – we’ll eat you up – we love you so!”.
Advantages of Wild Things Tattoos
- Symbolism – Wild Things Tattoos symbolize freedom and joy, two important aspects of life that everyone should strive for.
- Versatility – Wild Things Tattoos come in a variety of forms, from simple single line drawings to intricate illustrations. There’s something for everyone.
- Meaningful – Wild Things Tattoos are often symbolic of deeper meaning, allowing wearers to express themselves in a unique yet meaningful way.
- Memorable – Wild Things Tattoos are unique and memorable, making them a great way to commemorate an important event or moment in life.
- Customizable – Wild Things Tattoos are customizable, allowing wearers to make the design their own.
How to Choose a Design
- Research: Become familiar with the different styles within the tattooing world. Look up artwork by tattoo artists to get inspiration for the design you want.
- Decide on Placement: Think about which area of your body you want to put the tattoo on. Consider the size of the tattoo, as this will determine how much detail can be included.
- Develop a Concept: Start by coming up with a concept that will capture the essence of the story. Consider adding in some personal touches to make the tattoo unique to you.
- Choose the Design: Look at different tattoo designs to find the one that best fits your concept. Try to find a design that will look good and fit in the area you want it to go.
- Meet with an Artist: Once you have settled on a design, meet with a tattoo artist to discuss the details of your tattoo. They can help you refine the design and make sure it looks exactly how you want it.
The Process of Getting a Wild Things Tattoo
- Design: The process of getting a Wild Things tattoo starts with finding the perfect design. There are many different designs inspired by the classic story, from a simple silhouette of the Wild Things to a more intricate design featuring the characters and elements from the story.
- Artists: After choosing the design, the next step is to find the right tattoo artist. There are many talented tattoo artists out there who specialize in Wild Things-inspired tattoos and can help bring the design to life.
- Placement: The placement of the tattoo is important and should be considered when designing the tattoo. Popular places to get a Wild Things tattoo include the arm, leg, chest, back, or shoulder.
- Pain: The pain of getting a tattoo varies depending on factors such as the size of the tattoo, the location, and the person’s individual pain tolerance. Wild Things tattoos tend to be relatively small, so they aren’t too painful.
- Aftercare: After the tattoo is done, it is important to take care of it properly. This includes washing the area with a mild soap and water, applying an ointment to the area, avoiding direct sunlight, and avoiding activities that may irritate the tattoo.
Aftercare and Maintenance
- Choose the right artist: Before getting a tattoo inspired by the classic story, make sure to choose an artist with experience in the style. This will ensure that the colors and details of the tattoo stay vibrant for longer.
- Keep the area clean: After a new tattoo, keep the area clean and follow the aftercare instructions given by the artist. This will help reduce risk of infection and ensure the design does not fade.
- Moisturize: Keeping the area moisturized will help the design stay vibrant for longer. Use a mild, unscented moisturizer and apply it regularly to keep the colors from fading.
- Protect from sun: Prolonged exposure to the sun can fade the colors of the tattoo, so it’s important to use sunscreen when going outdoors. The sun can also cause the colors to become patchy and uneven, so use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF to protect the design.
- Limit contact with water: Avoid getting the tattoo wet for the first few weeks and keep it away from chlorine, saltwater and other chemicals that can cause the colors to fade.
Pros and Cons of Wild Things Tattoos
- Where the Wild Things Are tattoos are a unique way to express your love for the classic story.
- They are a great way to make a statement and stand out from the crowd.
- The tattoos can be as simple or as intricate as desired, depending on the individual’s preference.
- Small Where the Wild Things Are tattoos are a great way to express your love for the story without having to commit to a large tattoo.
- Where the Wild Things Are quote tattoos are a great way to express yourself and have a personal connection to the story.
- Where the Wild Things Are tattoos can be difficult to find, as they aren’t as widely available as other tattoo designs.
- They can be expensive, depending on the size and complexity of the tattoo.
- They can be difficult to remove, so it is important to ensure that you are sure about the design before getting it.
- Where the Wild Things Are tattoos may not be as widely accepted as other designs, so it is important to consider how visible the tattoo will be.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of tattoos are inspired by Where the Wild Things Are?
Tattoos inspired by the classic children’s story Where the Wild Things Are often feature the titular monsters, Max and his crown, and the iconic phrase “Let the wild rumpus start!”. Other popular designs include illustrations of the boat Max sails away in, the moon from the book cover, and his iconic nightshirt. Creative tattoos may also incorporate elements from the movie adaptation, such as the use of bright colors, abstract designs, and the “Wild Things” themselves. No matter the design, these tattoos are sure to capture the magic of the book.
Are There Any Special Techniques Used to Create These Tattoos?
Many tattoo artists incorporate a range of traditional and modern tattooing techniques to create these tattoos. For example, the use of fine line work and dot work, shading, and various levels of contrast to create depth and texture. Some artists also use specialized techniques such as stippling and layering to give their tattoos a unique, dynamic look. Additionally, some artists may incorporate additional elements such as watercolor, 3D elements, and texture to further enhance the design.
How Long Have Tattoos Inspired by This Classic Story Been Around?
Tattoos inspired by the classic story Where the Wild Things Are have been around since the late 1960s when tattoo artist Lyle Tuttle was first asked to create a tattoo for a fan of the story. Since then, the popularity of the tattoos has grown, becoming a symbol of childhood nostalgia, rebellion, and creativity. Today, Where the Wild Things Are tattoos are a popular choice among tattoo enthusiasts looking to pay homage to their favorite childhood stories.
What kind of symbolism can be found in these tattoos?
- Animals: Animals often feature in tattoos inspired by Where the Wild Things Are, representing the wild things which Max encountered during his journey. They often represent courage, strength, and freedom.
- Crown: Max was crowned as king of the wild things. A crown tattoo symbolizes power, responsibility, and authority.
- Moon: The moon is a prominent symbol in the story. It represents the unknown, security, and the illumination of the darkness.
- Sailboat: The sailboat is a symbol of the journey Max took to the land of the wild things, and can represent exploration, discovery, and adventure.
- Stars: Stars are often used in tattoos inspired by the story, symbolizing hope, faith, and wishes.
What is the Significance of Where the Wild Things Are in Tattoo Culture?
The beloved classic story, Where the Wild Things Are, has become increasingly popular in tattoo culture as a representation of childhood nostalgia, freedom, and the power of imagination. Tattoos inspired by the story often feature the iconic characters, like Max, the Wild Things, and the boat in which Max sails away. The story has an almost universal appeal and many people opt for Where the Wild Things Are tattoos to express the beauty of the story and its powerful themes.
Tattoos inspired by the classic story of ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ have become increasingly popular in recent years. These tattoos are a fun and creative way to express oneself and the love for the story. They are also a great way to pay tribute to an essential part of childhood, which will stay with us forever.
- Savage, L. (2016). Where the Wild Things Are: Exploring the Art of Tattoos Inspired by the Classic Story. The Lion and the Unicorn, 40(1), 89–97.
- McGrath, C. (2008, November 9). Where the Wild Things Were. The New York Times.
- US Department of Education. (n.d.). Tattoos and Body Piercings: What You Need to Know. Retrieved March 28, 2021, from https://www2.ed.gov/pubs/OR/ConsumerGuides/tattoos.html